This nourishing smoothie is really delicious for breakfast on a cold morning when taken warm. When I cook pumpkin I always leave some leftover to put in my smoothie in the morning. I just love this recipe so much, it’s really easy to make and great if you’re on the run, as it’s a meal in itself and can be taken with you.
The recipe makes the smoothie quite thick, but you can make it thinner by adding an additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk.
I don’t eat as much fruit in winter, so for me this is an ideal alternative to a fruit smoothie and it’s lower in sugar too. I’m currently taking prebiotic powder and a few other supplements, I usually throw them in as well so I don’t have to take them separately which works a treat.
- 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin
- 1 tbsp protein powder (I use Incha Inchi protein powder)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or another type of milk)
- 2 tsp of peanut or almond butter
- 1 drop of stevia (optional)
- Toppings of your choice. I’ve used puffed millet, coconut flakes, cinnamon and chopped walnuts.
Blend until smooth, add your toppings and enjoy.